It is high time Celestial Church of Christ took the issue of marriage serious. The rate at which our young women are becoming single mothers is quiet alarming. It is even more sad to know that the father of their child is/was a Celestial Member. We cannot continue in this line and think things will get better because it will not. We really need to do something about this and I think the first thing we need to do is to understand the basics of marriage.
1. A man should never marry a woman because of her beauty, physical appearance or physique but by the instruction of God. We would then wonder how come many “marriages” crashed and it involves people who said God told them this and that, this shows someone was actually lying about God just to make the other person believe or people believe God was involved. Marriage of God doesn’t end in divorce!(Mal 2:16).
2. A woman should not marry a man because of money, fame, position, spiritual standing or physique but strictly by the direction/instruction of God. A man might be spiritual gifted, called as a prophet, Evangelist, teacher or shepherd, it doesn’t mean he is your husband. Being called or spiritual doesn’t guarantee a man to be a your husband, you will be disappointed if you go after a man because of his calling and not because God directs you that he is your husband.
3. Members of Celestial Church of Christ must understand that marriage belongs to God and He would never change His mind when it comes to giving a man a wife or a woman to a man. If He says He is not in a marriage, there is no man that can conduct spiritual works or say prayers that will make Him come into to marriage. This means if God says you should not marry someone and you think maybe of you rpay well He would change His mind, it is a big lie and vice versa.
When He says He is not in something, we should stay aloof, if He says He is there, we should embrace and ask for the wisdom to walk in the path. His thoughts are never our thoughts (ish 55:8).
4. Every single person should work on their characters. We should not expect to have bad attitudesp, pride, arrogance, sharp tongue, not willing to learn and expect other people to acdomodate us as such. Everyone should shun works of the flesh and start bearing the fruits of the spirits (Gal 5:19-22). Though it is might look hard to achieve but everyone should strive to be better and be teachable,with prayers and dedication we will over come the works of the flesh and begin to beat the fruits of the spirit.
5. The habit of a “tasting” before wedding should stop! No woman must offer herself for tasting by irresponsible men in the name of “knowing what he wants to buy”. It is a subtle way in which the devil has blinded the sons of God to go into fornication and adultery. No man should ask a woman for sex before wedding, even after knowing that she is your wife, you are expected to wait till your wedding before touching her.
If a man cannot wait, he is not your husband so it is better to let him go because a man that understands that marriage is a gift of God and you are the good thing God has given him as a result of being favored would see reasons to do the will of God.
6. Keeping secrets in a marriage should stop! Your husband deserves to know your past, your wife deserves to know your past, you owe him/her this so both of you can know how to channel your energy in prayer. The mentality that keeping secrets makes one more matured should be totally erased. A man/woman would never trust his/her spouse that kept a secret from him/her if he/she founds out by himself/herself.
7. Be prepared for trying times because every marriage has its own challenges. How you are able to manage and settle differences when they arise determines how long the marriage would last.
8. Reduce external interferances and deal with issues with your spouse. Talk to your spouse about how you feel about anything, be very free because you have no other husband and wife.
These are the things we should put into consideration which might help in reducing the menance of single parenthood we have wound us.