1 Cor. 11:1.
1.Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
This scripture calls on believers to follow Christ’s example and become Christlike.
What is Christlikeness?
1. Christlikeness is, essentially, love for God and for fellowmen (Mat. 22:37-39; Lk. 10:27).
Our love for God motivates and directs our love for others just as Christ’s love for God was always first and His love for us subordinate and based upon His love for the Father. 1 Jn. 4:20-21.
2.The love Christ had for His Father was revealed in:
a. His concern for God’s glory (Mat. 6:9; Jn. 12:28;17:4).
b. His concern for God’s will (Mat. 26:42; Jn. 4:34; Heb. 10:7-12).
c. His concern for God’s Word (Mat. 26:54; Jn. 8:28; 17:14,17).
d. His concern for the nearness of God’s presence (Lk. 5:16).
e. His faithfulness to God (Heb. 3:2).
f. His willingness to obey God’s will by being the Sacrifice for our redemption (Mat. 26:42; Jn. 3:16-17; Heb. 10:4-9).
g. His love for righteousness and hatred of sin (Heb. 1:9).
3.Christ’s love for man was portrayed in His
* compassion (Mat. 9:6; 14:14; 15:32; 20:34)
* kindness (Mat. 8:3,16-17; 9:22)
* tears (Jn. 11:35)
* humility (Mat. 11:29)
* good deeds (Acts 10:38)
* gentleness ( Mat. 11:29)
* forgiveness (Lk. 23:34)
* patience (Lk. 13:34)
* mercy (Mat. 15:22-28; Jude 21).
It is worthy of note that Jesus also demonstrated love in
– rebuking sin (Mat.16:23; Mk. 9:19; 10:13-14)
– expressing anger at those who were cruel,
heartless or insensitive to the suffering and
needs of others (Mk. 3:5)
– warning us of hell (Mat. 5:29-30; Lk. 12:5)
– offering Himself as a sacrifice (Mat. 26:38; Jn 10:11,17-18, 13:1).
May the grace to pattern our lives after that of Christ our Redeemer be released upon us in the name of Jesus. Amen.
El Shaddai Tracts.