*SALT AND LIGHT OF THE WORLD*
It is interesting to note that both *salt (table salt-sodium chloride)* and *light (pure light)* are whitish in colour; a depiction of *purity*.
*A. Admiration and Appreciation*
1. To admire and appreciate salt, you must *taste* it. This tells us that as sons of God, we must taste good in our *conduct, behavior and habit* towards fellow humans. We must not taste bitter or sour. We must taste sweet! By these, we are the salt of the world. No wonder God made one *saltiness* one of the tastes buds of the tongue.
2. To admire and appreciate light, you must *see* it. Without light, the eyes are useless. The human eye needs light to see. This teaches us that as sons of God, the world needs us to see things in God’s way. Light travels in a straight line. This teaches us that as sons of God, we must be straight (righteous and non hypocritical) in our dealings with fellow men. Light can also come in varying colour (e.g. rainbow emerald) for beauty and glory. The lives of God’s children must be beautiful and glorious to behold. By these, we are the light of the world.
*B. Efficiency and Power*
1. To feel the effect of salt, you must use it as a *condiment (flavour for enjoyment)* and *food preservative*. Thus, as sons of God, we must provide godly enjoyment and preserve lives (protection and guardian) where necessary. By these, we are a salt of the world.
2. To feel the effect of light, you must use. In the whole world, particles of light are the fastest (3×10^3) in vacuum. As sons of God, we must speedily process matters in the spirit in order to proffer solutions possible challenges. We must not be slack (positively) or nonchalant or lackadaisical in our attitude in the world. By these, we are the light of the world.
E.g. Joseph speedily gave Pharaoh a solution to the impending famine.
*C. Impact and Influence*
1. With salt, you can destroy some physical obstacles. As sons of God, we are empowered to destroy evil.
2. With light, you can conquer darkness. As sons of God, we overcome darkness with light.
*Conclusion:* The great lights (sun, moon and stars) created by God are above the earth. God wants us his children to operate at dimensions higher than the world.
The waters of the sea and oceans which cover largest part of the earth contain salt. God expects us as his sons to cover the earth with good news of the gospel of Jesus.
When salt is dissolved in water, it spreads limitlessly When light is released , it spreads limitlessly. So also, we, the sons of God must spread the good news limitlessly.
Salt particles are immeasurable while the particles of light are almost invisible. Sons of God operate unstoppably.